Sunday 3 June 2012

Walter is in surgery

It's been a while since I lasted posted news on Little Walt I know. I have to confess there has been no progress for almost 6 months...Little Walt has been waiting patiently......
Scandalous ! How much longer before there is any action I hear you cry !
Motivated by the arrival of my chum Basil K Splutterpipe bearing gifts..(large sticky buns and scrummy do-nuts for munching in the coffee break ) I saw no reason not to spend a few hours in the sunshine doing a bit of vintage motorcycle fettling and bun munching.
First job, undo 4 bolts and lift out the 175cc Sturmey Archer power unit....

and transfer to the operating table in 'The Old Sidevalve Bar' for a detailed exploration of his inner cavities.
What would we find inside this?   Oh !  The suspense !!!!
First the timing casings were removed. Inside lay the tiny cam followers.......Well at least there are 2 even if they are rusty and badly worn....
Off with the barrel and hurray ! There is a piston complete with rings !!!    Phew......
But looking down the gapping orifice onto the crankshaft I can warn you now it was not a pretty sight......
(The rust is a minor challenge......)
Stay tuned all you 1925sidevalvers, have no fear, for as soon as there is more news on Little Walt I shall be back on my keyboard making sure you are the first to know....

Albert ....over and out.


No comments:

Post a Comment